Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was founded on the campus of Indiana University on January 5, 1911. Originally charted and incorporated Kappa Alpha Nu on April 15, 1911, the name was officially changed to Kappa Alpha Psi on April 15, 1915. The Fraternity’s fundamental purpose is achievement. Early in this century, African-American students were actively dissuaded from attending college. Formidable obstacles were erected to prevent the few who were enrolled from assimilating into co-curricular campus life. This ostracism characterized Indiana University in 1911, thus causing Elder W. Diggs, Byron K. Armstrong, and eight other black students to form Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, which remains the only Greek letter organization with its Alpha Chapter on the University’s campus. The founders sought a formula that would immediately raise the visions and insight of black collegians at Indiana University and all over the world. Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. has continued to provide leadership in every field of the human endeavor.
The Orlando (FL) Alumni Chapter was chartered on March 15, 1947 by Albert Dudley, James Foster, Benjamin Hubert, David Leaver, Herman Refoe, Jr., and John Slack. Since its inception, the Chapter has been a beacon for educational, occupational and social guidance for the community welfare. Being a 501(c)(3) program, we strive to create resources for the uplifting of humanity and design creative programs for the development of our next generation.